In Georgetown, KY, the home of Deidra Roberts and her two year old and three year old children was completely gutted by an arson fire.
The Williamsburg Lane fire is being investigated, according to WKYT. Per the information available at this time, there’s a strong chance that arson is involved. It appears that the front door was left unlocked and someone came into the home and set a mattress on fire.
Though treated with flame retardant chemicals, mattresses certainly are not fireproof. Because of those chemicals, the smoke from even a smoldering mattress is toxic and deadly even in small amounts. What little of their possessions was not burned is ruined because of that toxic smoke. Several nearby apartments also suffered smoke damage.
Perhaps the worst part about this story, though, is that the victims are reduced to donations and assistance. [Read more...]