Summer is here! For many people, this means it’s time to start sunbathing, swimming, barbecuing, and of course, more trips to the beach! Be cautious though, as thieves sometimes think that the beach is the perfect place for easy pickings. Read on for some tips for avoiding beach theft, keeping your items safe, and what to do if your items are stolen.
How to prevent beach theft
There are a number of ways you can prevent your items from being stolen:
- Do not leave items like bags and purses in plain sight.
- Do not bring anything valuable with you.
- Leave all expensive jewelry and electronics at home, and only bring the amount of cash (if any) you will need when physically on the beach.
- Designate one person to remain on the beach blanket with the items at all times.
- You could also invest in a water-resistant portable safe such as FlexSafe.
- Remember thieves often look for the easiest target. The harder your items are to access, the better.
Did you know…
If you don’t want to invest in a fancy portable safe, you might already have what you need right at home! To keep personal items from being stolen while at the beach, you can actually place them in a clean unused diaper.
Wrap the items inside the diaper the same way you would wrap up a dirty diaper, and either leave it on your blanket, or bury it in the sand. Trust us, nobody will want to steal your “dirty” diaper!
Does renters insurance cover items lost or stolen at the beach?
Yes! Your renters insurance policy is written to include theft of items, even when they are not physically located in your apartment. In order to use your theft coverage, however, it’s a good idea to keep a home inventory on file–it will make payment much faster if you ever do have to file a claim. For more information about how your policy covers theft, read our guide Theft: Painful Perils Explained Easily.
Effective Coverage offers the nation's only completely mobile platform to quote and purchase renters insurance right from your phone or tablet in just one minute. Get an online renters insurance quote today and protect your family.